But when he saw the strong wind and the waves, he was terrified and began to sink.
Matthew 14:30 (NLT)
Fears keep us from being who we were meant to be
Freedom comes from...
surrendering to God what’s scaring us, letting go of control to fix it
Fully trusting God to take care of it despite any wind or waves that come
HOW to overcome fearS:
recognize, acknowldege and tell someone about the fear
- sometimes it’s hard to know we are afraid because it comes out in some ways that don't remind us of fear, like anger or pain, so talking about it helps us to know what our fears are
- often the fears that keep us from being who God made us to be are things like not being/doing good enough, being rejected, not being valuable or worth loving
focus on God’s love instead of the fear
[God's] love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear.
1 John 4:18 (NLT)
- God's perfect love drives out fear - this allows us to surrender control
- control is often a response to the fear of the unknown
- fear is bound up in control - release control and fear subsides
remind yourself that God is present
Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.
Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you.
I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.
Isaiah 41:10 (NLT)
- You're not alone!